- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 – 1/2 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- generous seasoning of fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
NOTE: 1 whole wheat pie
shell either frozen or homemade.
1. To make filling, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, tossing often. Add the tomatoes and sauté 5 more minutes.
2. Stir in the eggplant, green peppers, basil, salt, and pepper and toss well. Cover the pan and cook about 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. Remove from the head and cool slightly.
3. Place two-thirds of the eggplant mixture, the eggs, and the Parmesan cheese in a food processor or blender and puree. Scrape the mixture back into the skillet and mix with the reserved eggplant.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
5. Spoon the eggplant mixture into the frozen pie shell and smooth over the top. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parley, and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the tart.
6. Bake 25 minutes, or until a rich golden brown. Allow to stand for ten minutes before serving.